Piece #27

While many baby boomers people remember where they were for the Kennedy assassination, I remember where I was during the Hungarian Revolution.

Little Tomika was being let out of kindergarten class because his father had come by to pick him up early. You see, that’s what you do when a revolution breaks out.

My father well aware – as he rushed past the shouting crowds of young Budapest hotheads – that if he did not deliver me home into the smothering arms of my mother, he would be subject to a emotional torrent of invective that would make the revolution look like a minor tiff.

During all the confusion, a few angry fascists had gone on a rampage trying to find some of the neighborhood Communist police who had been their tormentors. As they found their prey, they hanged a few of them, one by one on the nearest tree.

My father told me not to look up. A very obedient little boy, I did what my father told me to do until I could stand it no longer.

When I looked up I saw two policemen high up in the big oak tree in front of the bakery. They looked very sad to me as their heads were rolled completely to the side almost touching their shoulders.

That seemed strange. I knew that policemen were usually very loud and very mean, but these two up in the tree were very quiet. They hardly moved at all. They must be hiding in the tree. I thought, to catch thieves who try to steal something from the bakery.

Years later, when I was in my forties, I could keep an audience spellbound whenever I told this story at the Kiddush, the small reception that followed Sabbath prayer services at the downtown Chabad House shul I attended at the time.

I didn’t always spend my Saturday mornings at the synagogue. Actually I much preferred to get up early, pick up a hefty weekend Globe and Mail and head over to Premiere Moisson for a chocolate croissant and a small vat of café au lait.

My relationship with my Creator was warm and friendly. I would speak to G-d every evening. It was admittedly a brief chat. I would thank Him for everything that had happened. I would apologize for anything I might have done wrong and would make a point of asking G-d to please ensure that my mother and my father and my sister and me – in that order – would be given health and a long life of 120 years. That would pretty much be it.

I would attend seders whenever I was invited which was often. On Passover I would eat matzo as well as matzo brei. I would enjoy  the potato pancake latkes and I would light candles on most of the eight nights of Chanukah.

I would also avoid most of my relatives for two reasons. First of all, most of them were far too religious for me and I was always worried that I would do something of which they disapproved.

Secondly, Mom was also known to nurse the occasional grudge for decade or two. Somehow I got it into my head that if I spoke to any relative with whom she was not on good terms, this would be regarded as disloyalty, tantamount to treason.

I would really go all out for Rosh Hashanah High Holiday services where I would spend the entire day at shul. Since the age of 12, I have atoned for my sins by fasting a full 26 hours every single Yom Kippur.

I recall being very content with my relationship with my Creator. I was proud to be Jewish, made a point of reading Commentary magazine and no visit to Chapters was complete without a visit to the Judaica section right after I finished browsing through the novels, bestsellers and recent arrivals.

On occasion upon reading some lofty theological tome, I would make a resolution to become more observant. Perhaps I would start start by going to synagogue every week. This resolution would  last a few weeks. But before long I would be back at Premiere Moisson with the croissant and the Globe and Mail.

Then one morning, the phone rang. It was the police telling me that my father had been hit by a Purolator truck, but he was still breathing and had been taken to the Montreal General Hospital. I grabbed a cab and was shaking so much, I could barely tell the driver where I was going.

Dad recovered after a few weeks in the Institut de Readaptation de Montreal on Darlington Avenue. When I was called into a meeting with members of the staff I was overwhelmed by their kindness and consideration.

Even though they were all francophones, they insisted on speaking to us in English. I told them it was perfectly fine if they spoke in French since I would have to translate whatever they said into Hungarian anyway. They would have none of it and insisted on speaking English to make us feel more at home.

One day when I was visiting, the chaplain who was a Catholic priest popped in to visit and started singing the praises of Jesus. My dad interrupted him mid-sentence and said he had been Jewish all his life and wanted to stay that way. But he also proposed to make a deal with the priest.

“How about this? I will promise not to go to the Oratory to convert any of the visitors to Judaism if you promise to spend more time visiting Catholic patients. If there are Jewish patients here, I can help you by visiting them myself. What do you think?”

The priest was most amenable to this suggestion and they parted friends.

Dad spent 10 weeks in hospital. I made a point of visiting him every day because I knew way too much about the Quebec health care system to do otherwise.

A few years later, he was in another car accident that meant several months in hospital.

One day at 5 a.m. the phone rang.

‘’Mr. Schnurmacher? We’re calling about your father. He had an episode in the middle of the night. We know that you did not have a DNR on his chart, so I can assure you that we did everything we could possibly do to save him, but unfortunately we were not able to do so.”

I didn’t hear anything at all after the word unfortunately.

I became convinced that my father was somehow meant to die in a car accident. I was also convinced that he was supposed to have died  in the accident with the Purolator truck but that G-d had realized that my mother and I would simply be unable to deal with the loss, and that’s why the Almighty really leaned on his attribute of mercy and gave my dad three more years.

I still had no intention of abandoning Premiere Moisson, but I also had no intention of abandoning my father just because he had died.

I was determined to say Kaddish for him to ease his soul’s journey into the hereafter. The Kaddish is one of the central elements in the Jewish liturgy.

Was I going to say it in English? After all I loved the English language. I had chosen England as the subject of my grade 5 geography scrapbook. I was active in the Anglophone rights movement in Quebec and I had a BA from McGill as an English Drama Major.

All this angophilia notwithstanding, I was not going to say it in English. I was going to do it right. I was going to recite the Kaddish daily not in English, but in the ancient Aramaic. Not once in a while, but ten times a day for 11 months. And not alone, but in a synagogue with a minyan or quorum of ten Jewish men.

This determination to say Kaddish did mean that Saturday mornings at Premiere Moisson were now out of the question, but I  had no intention of becoming “religious.”

When I went to synagogue every morning and every afternoon, I  would leaf through the prayer book to make sure that I was ready for the next Kaddish.

I did not feel very comfortable in the synagogue and was always worried that I would do something wrong, that I would miss a Kaddish or that I would stand up when I was supposed to sit down or vice versa.

Mr. Rosler,  a Hungarian Holocaust survivor with a flowing white beard sat at the same table as I did. He would watch me intently every morning without saying a word until one day, he leaned over.

“You look very nervous. Are you nervous at home?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Well then don’t be nervous here.”

With that, Mr. Rosler flapped both his hands in the air and said, “Over here, you’re home. You’re home. You’re home. And, by the way, you do know there are other things in the prayer book besides the Kaddish, right?”

After a few weeks as a synagogue regular, I fell in love with the black Borsalino hats favored by the flock that attended the Yeshiva on Westbury Avenue which had a convenient 6:30 a.m. prayer service allowing me to get to my job at CJAD.

I was not sure whether one had to reach a certain level of spiritual enlightenment in order to wear such a hat, but decided to go for it.

I really loved that hat. It made me look sharp. It made me look a mafia don if said mafia don were Jewish and wore a beard.

I had always hated shaving and had no problem when I was told that it was customary to grow a beard during the one year mourning period.

A few days after the purchase of the $300 hat, I was about to get in the car to drive to shul. I stopped in my tracks. Wait a second. It would be ridiculous to wear a religious hat like that and drive in a car on the Sabbath.

Maybe I could hide the hat in the trunk and then put it on when I got out of the car. Or maybe I could just hide the hat. Or maybe I would only wear the hat during the week.

Or maybe —it was then and there I decided not to ride in a car on the Sabbath. It was then and there I decided that Premiere Moisson  would have to make do without my patronage.

It was then and there I decided to become an observant Jew. After that did everyone just live happily ever after?

Not quite, but that’s another story.

This Post Has 20 Comments

  1. This has become a part of my morning coffee!
    Thank you!

  2. Interesting progression towards more observance.
    Some of us go/ went oppositely. Your writing is exceptional! Just love it.

  3. Can’t wait to hear more!

  4. you have a talent and a way to bring us along with you into every step of your life, step by step…your writing is addictive, can’t stop reading your story every day…my worry is that you may stop soon and then what? it would be complete withdrawal for me. Again I also relate to your story, since I was a child when the war broke out in Poland, we were in Warsaw and had to run…long story. after the war when we ended up in a D.P camp I had never gone to school during the war, but here in the camp they had a religious school Beis Yaakov, I was 8 years old by then and took the religious teachings very seriously and became so religious to a point where I wouldn’t comb my hair on the Sabbath…later in Montreal in school I would hold up the students at the water fountain by saying my prayer for water, they would all be impatient and I would hear “come on” so I understand you…cannot wait for the next story…

  5. Reading these stories has become a really important part of my day, very much like listening to you on the radio was.I was am always left wanting more. Thank you so much for your written and oral words.

  6. you do not disapoint! my morning is not complete without you tomika……your poor father being hit by a truck, twice…..i also received a similar phone call when my father died in 1975… ending with ‘unfortunately, we could not save him’…….i know just how you felt….your ‘tommy humour’ saves you and everyone else…..keep it going please……i love this email version so much……XO

  7. I have read many biographies and they are long forgotten – this is best, most readable and if I live another 20 years -it may be last and only one I’ll remember & refer back to. I’m saving the chapters – but would buy the book. 🙂

  8. You were dodging cops hiding in trees in Budapest when I was 21 crossing the library grounds beneath the tower at University of Texas in Austin, yet you are MY teacher. Glad to pick up this story while your shift to profoundly observant practices has been launched!

  9. What a lovely story!

  10. Tommy,
    I can’t wait to read your next installment each day. I used to look forward to hearing you on the radio and now I look forward to these memoirs, so beautifully written. You are a very special person and you are truly a wonderful son.
    Sharon Rosenhek

  11. Each day reading yours stories is a treat.keep on writing. I looked firestorm to your wise opinions and the delivery on CJAD. Miss those hours with your wit intelligence and sense of humour. We get it in your written words now. Thank you.

  12. I was only 5 when the Hungarian revolution broke out but I rember every minute of the escape. I Also remember your dad cause my parents and I were members of his synagogue in Montreal. My maiden name was Kondor and my dad had a furniture store in Victoria. Loved reading your post

  13. TOMMY! This is not a story this is life! Re. Kaddish interesting observations. The language is unknown I. E. Arameic but the script does not mention death! It refers to the almighty! Important points whether you understand or not. Logic is not part of the dialogue! Keep on writing it is good for the soul and perfect for retirement!

  14. You have such a gift for writing! I wait each day to read another chapter. Thank you for sharing this poignant time in your life with us. Tomoka you are a wonderful son!

    1. Thank you Suzie

  15. Very well written and sadly humorously

  16. wonderful. x

  17. I can hear your voice, the one I heard so often on Montreal radio, as I read your words. Thank you for sharing your stories and those of your family. May your mother live to 120 as your inspiration and muse. A uniquely special woman who has raised a remarkable son. It is time you, our Montreal treasure, gets shared with the world. A best selling novel, a one-man show all sound wonderful. Keep your lucky readers posted.

    1. Thank you Robin for your kind words

    2. thank you for the kind comments Robin

Leave a Reply

Close Menu